Nutrition is key to optimising our health, body composition (fat and muscle levels) and increasing our sense of well-being. The following are some of the services we offer:
- Customised Nutrition Programs – this includes eating plans based on the Client’s lifestyle and goals, supplement recommendations and other advice specific to the individual.
- Nutrition Coaching – this is a support system of coaching to help the Client implement their nutrition program. This may also include counselling and Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) to address any underlying behavioural problems, anxieties, meal planning and other issues relevant to the individual.
- Laboratory Testing – this includes tests for nutrition status, wellness markers, digestion & metabolism etc
Improving fitness and performance can be challenging, but when combined with the correct nutritional approach and mind-set, excellent results are achievable in optimum time. The following are some of the services we offer:
- Body Composition Testing – this is useful for tracking weight (fat) loss, for Clients trying to increase muscle mass or improve sporting performance. Guru Performance only uses The International Society for the Advancement of Kinanthropometry (ISAK) method which is regarded as one of the most accurate methods of assessment, and is based on measuring skin fold thickness, bone breadths and girths.
- Metabolic Testing – using our state-of-the-art laboratory equipment a variety of assessments can be performed in the clinic providing instant results & feedback. The assessments include fitness levels (i.e. VO2 Max) and the efficiency of the different metabolic systems (i.e. aerobic & anaerobic) during rest (RMR/BMR) and/or under stress (i.e. exercise) as well as the body’s current fuel utilisation status (i.e. use of fats and carbohydrates) enabling a highly customised heart rate (and diet) guided metabolic training program to be created for each Client.
- Hydration Testing – this allows an accurate assessment of body salt loss such as sodium levels lost during exercise to be measured, which in turn allows us to create a bespoke plan for electrolyte replenishment before, during and after exercise.
- Training and Exercise Recommendations – these are based on the various assessments and the Client’s performance or body composition (fat/muscle) goals, and include weight management and training guides.
A positive, healthy, happy mind not only contributes towards general well-being but is also essential for optimising body performance. The following are some of the services we offer:
- Wellness Coaching – this includes support and advice on nutrition and lifestyle strategies and help with minor health problems such as digestive issues, blood sugar irregularities, bone density problems, high cholesterol, blood pressure issues, Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), energy problems and a range of individual-specific issues.
- Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapy – this involves sessions with Sarah Collier who can help Clients address and overcome a wide range of problems from deep seated insecurities to food-related issues and dependencies.
Guru Performance are conducting several research projects that include clinical trials and case-studies on elite level athletes from a range of sporting disciplines.
A selection of case-studies that have been or are to be submitted for publication in scientific peer-reviewed journals, are outlined below:
Nutrition Education Intervention to Improve Behaviour, Body Composition and Performance in a Professional International Level Female Football Player
This research shows how a scientific, time-efficient and educational nutrition intervention can be implemented to improve behaviour, body composition and performance for an elite level female football player. We also provide novel data relating to the training and match load and frequency of a player, including estimated energy expenditure encompassing the pre- and in-season period.
L-Carnitine Supplementation and Regular Exercise Training in a Great Britain Age-Group Triathlete: Evidence for Efficacy
We investigate whether supplementing L-Carnitine with a high carbohydrate beverage twice daily over 12-week period, coupled with regular exercise training, increases fat oxidation at rest and during exercise. A secondary aim is to examine whether L-Carnitine supplementation and regular exercise training favourably influences body composition.
Efficacious Preparation for Physique Competition
This research study follows one male physique athlete over a 16 week preparation period in the lead up to a National competition, with the intervention implemented for the final 12 weeks. We seek to demonstrate how a scientifically-supported nutrition and training intervention enhances parameters of body composition, exercise performance and health, relevant to physique competition.
Our case studies are often conducted in collaboration with ISSN Diploma students, under the supervision of Laurent Bannock and Scott Robinson, such that they become well-versed in conducting scientific research come the end of their studies.
Laurent and Scott also act as Expert Reviewers for well respected academic journals, including The European Journal of Sports Sciences and Journal of The International Society of Sports Nutrition.